Us

Us
Forever and Always

08 January, 2011

My lil baby...

is such a handful. I said along time ago that kids are too much work, so we will stick to our lil doggie, little did  i know how much work she would become. The first year she was a little terror. she tore up everything! She caused so much damage, ruined so many items, but we worked with her and slowly but surely she got better, alot better. Year 2 was a great year. She didn't have to be kenneled, she stopped tearing things up as much, she was fully potty trained, and she was healthy. We couldn't ask for anything better from a dog. We even contemplated getting another lil bully to be her companion. Then Jeff enlisted and I decided I didn't want to go through the puppy stage again by myself because in all honesty Jeff is the one who trained Daisy.

Then came the Saturday after Thanksgiving 2010, I had gone to the gym in the early afternoon and came home already 1. I came home to Daisy convulsing on her bed. Her eyes were open, her tongue was blue, there was foam out of her mouth and she was shaking uncontrollably. It was the most scariest thing to see her go through. But all of a sudden she was fine, she got up and acted like nothing happened.She was alert. I called the vet who informed me to bring her in on Monday. When i brought her in they said that if she didn't have another one that it was an isolated incident but if she did then she is more than likely epileptic and would need to be medicated.

She didn't have another episode until 2 days before Jeff got home for Christmas Exodus. That time it was midnight and she had not 1 but a total of 4 seizures!! I rushed her to the emergency vet where they sedated her and started her on anti-seizure meds. I was up all night at the emergency room and took her to our regular vet first thing the next morning. That is when our vet made the decision to start regular medication, 2x a day for the rest of her life. The medicine isn't intended to stop the seizures all together but make them less intense and less frequent. Jeff came home for Exodus and she was fine the whole time he was here, other than the crazy side affects she had.

She has been on the meds for almost a month and she had an other episode last night. This episode was not a Grand Mal seizure, but the less intense type of seizure. She basically just gets real still and her head starts to shake and her mouth moves uncontrollably. The episode last night happened at 12:38 am and lasted about 30 seconds.  Then comes the post seizure stage. Daisy will wonder around whining and sniffing. She will pace back and forth and almost acts like she doesn't know where she is. This is the worst, I feel so helpless. She paced around the house until 3:30 in the morning and I didn't get an ounce of sleep.

My poor little baby, that there is nothing I can do for. I guess I never imagined that I would have an epileptic dog. I knew dogs were a big responsibility and alot of worked and I was prepared for that, I was not prepared for all the work a dog with a medical condition would be. I love my little Daisy and wouldn't trade her for anything. I just wish I could make her better. I wish Jeff was here to help me with her. I wish.....

1 comment:

  1. Oh, your poor puppy! I am so sorry that you are dealing with that, especially all by yourself :( That would be really scary.

    ReplyDelete